Saturday, January 19, 2008

No Ending For Old Men


Okay so I had heard the buzz and the critical acclaim for "No Country For Old Men". And I was totally stoked to check it out. It's from the Oscar- winning filmmakers The Coen Brothers. Now I am normally a huge fan of there work. Every thing from "O Brother Where Art Thou", "Fargo", and "The Big Lebowski".("That's Saturday. I do not bowl on the Sabbath"LOL. That line cracks me up all the time.) And I was totally excited to check out their much darker piece "No Country". I mean it has amazing performances from Tommy Lee Jones, Josh Brolin and Javier Bardem (Who plays one the creepiest, vicious villains with a Beatles hair cut you've ever seen). Now I don't want to give away the ending but that would be friggin' impossible!!! I mean don't get wrong it is a compelling story with an amazing performance by Bardem, who just picked up a Golden Globe for Best Supporting Actor, but when the lights came up I was like, what the fuck? Trust I am an avid film lover who took History of Film in school and had to write papers on maverick film makers. I've seen some of the greatest films of all time. I studied drama, went to film school, learn to use Final Cut Pro but also learned how cut film by hand. I even won an award for a student film I wrote and directed. So I have a deeper affinity for film then just "Pootie Tang"("You did it again Pootie"). I love character driven pieces and I'm not saying everything has to be tied up nicely at the end of 2 hours and change, but I'd like a little resolution. Shit give me something. It felt like reading an amazing book and then you get to the end and realize that the last chapter had been ripped out. WTF?! What, is this just an elaborate set up for "No Country for Old Men 2 Electric Boogaloo" or "No Country for Old Men Strikes Back", this time it's personal? I still suggest seeing because is a compelling piece of film making if the ending seems unfinished, but who knows maybe it rewards repeat viewing. Hey and maybe on the DVD there'll be an alternative ending to my liking. :-)
-Kov
------------

Buy The Debut EP From Kovas


Kovas - The Arrogance of Youth on iTunes worldwide
Special Price $6.93 Explicit|Clean

No comments: